My first 6 jars.

Isac/-/V

My first 6 jars.

Post by Isac/-/V »

Well hello again

Without tires you for the reasons I’ll just say that as a tobacco lover and Tobacco extracts vaper (in the last years) circumstances moved me to take the blue pill and join the DIY rabbit hole.

Based on one helpful US ex Navy called James Cloud on YouTube I based my first start before few weeks in DIY.
Since,short after I discovered your YouTube uploaded video
and this forum,I catch up and rethinking each of the coming steps.
Since I already vape quite for long Tobacco extracts
From the like of:
Naturally Tobacco Extracted US
Black Note US
Juice Cabin UK
Drake’s German UK based
I know what I like more and less,but to achieve this
I’ll see in coming months…

Anyway I writing already too much so to the point
What in my Jars;

CIGAR 4/12/21 HOYO DE MONTERREY
Epicure Especial

CIGAR 4/12/21 ROMEO y JUILIETE
Wide Churchills

CIGAR 4/12/21 COHIBA
Cigelo VI

CIGAR 4/12/21 TRINIDAD
Vigilio

PIPE 10/12/21 SAVINELLI
2x English Mixture 100gr
Virginia,Burley,Latakia

PIPE 10/12/21 RATTRAY’S
2x Stirling Flake 100gr
Virginia,Burley,Kentucky

The dates maybe I should point the month (December)

Yap just starting.

To keep start simple and easy to control for me for a first batch (as I’m in no rush and have quite
of stock of above manufactures to keep me going)
I put this Tobaccos listed in PG
and starts the 3 month or so waiting with shaking each day
before the filtration stage.

for filtration from what I read so far and to keep it simple for me from all the technical I got here so far and from James Cloud the YouTuber I ordered Aeropress with it’s filters for first stage
and then 5 micron cloth cut to fit the Aeropress
For longer steeping.
The finel liquids after the 5 Micron filteration
I intend splitting in Amber 4oz bottles full to rim
For longer ageing and keep one 2oz or 1 oz bottle of extract only for the daily use.
This way as I moved along from bottle to bottle
I’ll be able to explore the ageing qualities,
of the maturing extracts.
The 4th block goal as so fine explained in the diy-tobacco.net YouTube videos.

Glass Jars and bottles and pipettes are all on the way
from Amazon US as I level my basic gear with what I learn
here by all of you.
There was a question I had to ask…in the YouTube video
but I’ll keep it for later.

have still much reading a bit by bit
It will take time.

My apologies for any miss writing verses
it’s not my born language.

any input is welcome
Cheers to all

Isac

Peter_Ramish

Re: My first 6 jars.

Post by Peter_Ramish »

Isac/-/V wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:35 am
My apologies for any miss writing verses
it’s not my born language.

any input is welcome
Cheers to all

Isac
Welcome to the forum ! Your English is excellent and we appreciate your presence here. Sounds like you are well on your way to some excellent extractions of your own. The commercial sample you already have on hand will form a reasonable baseline to compare results. The Black Note products are not perfect, but they are very reasonable. I have a complete review of them here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12

I see that you are in Israel so I want to ask is the Cuban brands you mention genuine product imported to your land from Cuba? We here in the USA have been prohibited for many years from obtaining Cuban products of any type. It goes back to the 'cold war' days. But it is possible that you have the real item. In any event, as I am sure you have probably picked up from reading through many of the posts here that talk about extraction of rolled cigars, that the time lines are very long. I have kept some samples for over a year to obtain a decent extraction from commercial rolled cigars. Actually, on balance, I would say that, for me, extraction of complete commercial rolled cigars has not been as successful as I would have hoped it would be. However, if you have true Cuban cigars you might have better luck.

Since you are a "cigar type' I would suggest you try to obtain Tabac Manil: La Brumeuse. see the review here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21 It is excellent for a cigar lover and a very fast extraction. In PG it will give you good result in as little as 3 months in the jar. Longer time is better, but a short extraction time still gives excellent results. It is Made in Belgium, so you can probably find an importer, as I hope that there is no restriction for you on imported tobacco?

Again, welcome ! Hope to hear of your results and your comments and questions.

-Peter

Isac/-/V

Post by Isac/-/V »

Yes I’m from Israel and the Cigars are Authentic.
While the IL follow the US restrictions with is own implementation of imports restrictions from Cuba in the past,the Cigars were allowed to be imported from Swiss and other EU approved Habanos Vendors.
But no direct importation was allowed, until the US
Change of policy and then it’s took some more time to change legislation status.

I’m familiar with the Story of the order signed by JFK
from the common informative media.
Well it’s the US and local tobacco stocks are never too low.
I bet for many it was let down the way it was.
This days I believe importation of Cuban Cigars to the US (with some limitations) is allow to a point,
for returning travelers and such with the personal belongings.
Yet it turn that some good alternative arise after the embargo took place from the like of Padrón…etc’

we don’t have access to any Tobacco local made of our
own so the regulators were less strict on the Cuban Cigarss.
And because of the price after purchase tax is so expensive
the actual consuming was more of sporadically done.
But for vaping it’s more reasonable to choose the best
as the output of extracts provide for much more.

Not all Cuban equals as combustion in regard to QC
and consistency of rolling but there is some unique
flavore notes that since the time of smoking them
I couldn’t pick the same in any other I tried.
I bet there are others just I wasn’t aware of them.
Years long no Internet back then limitations of exposure.

Anyway we’ll see how it will convert to e juice,No rush
I take one at a time.

Burley is my thing Cigars now and then was the thing in analog days but after vaping I found the non Aromatic Burley pipe’ish,Kentucky and Virginias light fire cured and Latakia with Burley and Virginia right down my alley as well.
Oriental less so for me but can serve useful as a condiment to some fire cured.

Thanks for the rec’ I read the post about that one
and it took my interest.
in time after this crazy COVID 19 era
(Hope so) and renewal of our trips for vacations in Italy
I might grab one of those.

Unfortunately Black Note stop shipping to us do to some US restrictions USPS ban or something not long before
and our government drop a Nagasaki kind of purchase tax on e juice that will turn each importation of one bottle
to some 800 US$!!!
I do believe (and hope) that after all someone may see reason in our democratic system.
Now the vendors are start gathering for the Supreme Court
but for now no e juice importation is commercially legit.
Yap it is what it is.
we live in a crazy times.

I but I prepared for rainy days and unfortunately they have realised.

Any how I keep “to the bright side of the leaf”,
And DIY fun is just beginning.

I’ll take the time for aging and steeping
and maybe took a tester after 3-4 month no rush.
As I read here I understand much better what and how
and I have reason to hope for satisfying results.
And hope to share my experience with the outcomes.

Regarding my question from the YouTube channel
I would like to repeat on it here as this will effect when
I choose to filter the PG stage 1 and 5 micron.

So here I copied it as I asked in regards to your informative explanation on how some aromatic molecules derived in time and ageing from sugars and and create new Aromatic molecule as long as enough raw substance is in the extracts to begin with so on;

if derivatives keep progressing in the say 3 block solution,after the centrifugal process,why there is no benefit to keep all raw material pre centrifuge in the original extractions jar for a longer period say a year or two?
Are this derivatives reaction won’t occur the same?
Is the big leaf parts and the matter collected in the centrifuged vials you called “plugs” prevent the 4th block aromatics molecules build process?

Add; I’m going to read your review of the Black Note line.
from what I already saw there is much sharpening qualities to get from the way you sample and list all.
that will be useful for me in coming month.

Cheers and thanks for your valuable input.

Isac

50YearsOfCigars
Site Admin

Post by 50YearsOfCigars »

Isac/-/V wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:44 pm
regarding my question from the YouTube channel
I would like to repeat on it here as this will effect when
I choose to filter the PG stage 1 and 5 micron.

So here I copied it as I asked in regards to your informative explanation on how some aromatic molecules derived in time and ageing from sugars and and create new Aromatic molecule as long as enough raw substance is in the extracts to begin with so on;

if derivatives keep progressing in the say 3 block solution,after the centrifugal process,why there is no benefit to keep all raw material pre centrifuge in the original extractions jar for a longer period say a year or two?
Are this derivatives reaction won’t occur the same?
Is the big leaf parts and the matter collected in the centrifuged vials you called “plugs” prevent the 4th block aromatics molecules build process?
There may possibly be a benefit, but how this will vary in its impact on final flavor development depends on many factors, including the exact tobacco used, how it was cured, the physical parameters of the additional extraction time (temperature, agitation, ratio of extraction solvent to base material, etc). So therefore, It is not entirely clear that the ending flavor development may / or may not / suffer / or be enhanced if left for an extended period of time in the extraction jar. Remember, the chemistry involved depends on the necessary components and precursors becoming dissolved into the liquid carrier. Physical proximity of the solid material to the carrier is necessary, but it is not an end in itself as the chemical reactions only occur in the liquid solution, they do not occur in any meaningful way at the boundary layer between solid and liquid carrier. The chemical reactions of "aging flavor development" occur in very slow time stages and levels of very small physical masses (probably micro grams) per liter. Remember the human taste buds are very sensitive to, in some cases, only a few molecules per unit volumes. This must be respected. In fact overwhelming the human taste physiology can be a negative and result in 'off-flavor' and that 'artificial flavor' of lab created food science products.

Additionally: there is a mechanical issue with large pieces of tobacco material that remain over to the final vapable mix. The pieces can, under certain circumstances, interfere with the physical/mechanical process of drawing the liquid to the saturation area of the wick that is in proximity to the heating element. This can cause clogging and other undesirable effects. If the actual pieces should contact the heater this may lead to a low level "combustion" of the material, and that is undesirable from a flavor standpoint and it is also possibly a toxicity hazard. So it is necessary to reduce this physical load in some fashion, either by filtration or by using the centrifuge technique I suggest.

Anecdotally, there have been mentions made in other forums from people that have accidentally misplaced for long periods of time (years) some jars and then discovered them and then proceeded with the finish and filter stage. I have never heard, in any of those reports, issues with negative flavor development. So, as we say here in this forum from time to time, the whole hobby is part art and part science. As one our most knowledgable members @Kinnikinnick is fond of saying, "there is no right and wrong, try it and see what happens.."

Speaking for myself, and I think I mention this in the video, I relied on the thousands of years of wine making experience as my guide post. My technique with the centrifuge is a modern day analog to the procedures used to make wine. Wine makers do not allow the grapes to persist in bulk into the process beyond the initial fermentation. However they do not remove all suspended solids by micro filtration, they allow very fine (less than 10 micron) particles to persist in the wine through years of aging and subsequent flavor development.

Isac/-/V

Post by Isac/-/V »

Thanks for knowledgeable reply.
It is much appreciated.

I don’t intend to vape or mix extracts with above 5 micron
Filteration.

I’ll keep the first batch as simple for me just to
make sure I have enough of supplies and then
maybe move to some more elaborate technical procedures or not we’ll see as we’ll develop.

For now the layout as follows:

*a tester after 2-3 month.
*Filteration after 3-4 month Aeropress step 1
*Filteration after that to 5 micron step 2
* storage In 4oz Amber bottles the end results 5 micron filtered leaving only 2 oz of extract of each to mix for vape
and the rest to refrigerator for ageing.

*I will explore in the ready to vape mix what percentage
of extract is my preference in small 1oz bottles and then make some fine tunings.

It’s fun and will be more so if the vape turn hopefully
to my liking.

I aimed for Tobaccos without toppings although they probably went via casing process (I have reason to believe) as most Tobaccos used for serial productions does.

Maybe a warmer climate (as we have here) contribute
A tad to some earlier peak in maturation.

“A Tennessee Bourbon maturation peak period compared to Scotch Single Malt kind of effect”.

But since there is no toasted Casks influence I’m not
sure this analog is scientific valid.

I wish you all a merry christmas,
and pleasant Holidays

Cheers