Pure Leaf Varietals

Kinnikinnick

Pure Leaf Varietals

Post by Kinnikinnick »

Brightleaf Virginia Flue Cured “Lemon Leaf”

...just bought a 1/4 lb. of this leaf, in hopes of procuring a nice sweet natured extract for use in blending with other single leaf varietals.

Many of my favorite pipe blend NETs are Va/Per types; heavy on the Va. This will be my first single leaf Va extraction.

Source:

https://totalleafsupply.com/product/organic-virginia-flue-cured-lemon-leaf-bl/

Peter_Ramish

Re: PURE LEAF Varietals

Post by Peter_Ramish »

Kinnikinnick wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:57 pm
in hopes of procuring a nice sweet natured extract
Right,.. I currently have American Virginia Flue Cured 2013 from LeafOnly.com and it is somewhat sweet, but I agree an even sweeter Va would be better for the Va/Per mixes, Soo I ordered and now have in the jar the LO Brightleaf Virginia Flue Cured - Sweet.

LeafOnly has a huge pile of Virginias, It would take a long time to work ones way through all of them :lol:
https://www.leafonly.com/search/virginia

Kinnikinnick

Re: Pure Leaf Varietals

Post by Kinnikinnick »

Semi-Oriental 456 (Leaf Only)

After almost 11 months on the steep shelf, this leaf finally made it to the filter! I can say without a doubt, this is definitely an Oriental... very nice outcome; aromatic and spicy. Very reminiscent of my Izmir Turkish whole leaf extraction. It will make a nice blender with my Lemon Leaf Virginia and some Perique. I agree with [mention]Peter_Ramish[/mention]... this probably isn’t a stand alone extract for anyone, unless you like an “unfiltered Camel cigarette on steroids” flavor. But, it will make a nice blended second ADV choice for me, seeing as how one of my favorites is C/D Orion’s Arrow (Turkish based blend).

Maceration technique:
75% PG
25% EA
Hot bump start, 8 hrs @ 125dg F
Cool steep 11 months
20 micron initial filter
Evaporate EA for 1hr @ 125dg F
8 micron final filter

Peter_Ramish

Post by Peter_Ramish »

Kinnikinnick wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:32 pm
Semi-Oriental 456 (Leaf Only)

After almost 11 months on the steep shelf, this leaf finally made it to the filter!
I don't think I will be that patient. hahaha.. I have a sample of this right now on my Ferris Wheel, and have "skim tested" a bit of it. I am a little confused what this leaf is supposed to be about flavor wise? I think, maybe, this leaf is a professionally concocted Hybrid made by professional plant biologists, maybe under contract to a big cig company? For sure someone had something in mind with this thing, but not clear to me what that 'something' was supposed to be.
Kinnikinnick wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:32 pm
, unless you like an “unfiltered Camel cigarette on steroids” flavor.
Yeah, for sure this one is in a ZIP code all its own. Maybe you are right here, and the best use for it is to blend it in my efforts to make "cig-work-a-likes". I will test it out on my unsuspecting newbie vape friends that are trying to quit combustibles - :LOL:

Interestingly enough this tobacco shows up in a research paper on "Flavor Additives in Tobacco Products" Notice it is in the company of other 'professional Hybrids"

Kinnikinnick

Post by Kinnikinnick »

Kinnikinnick wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:57 pm
Brightleaf Virginia Flue Cured “Lemon Leaf”
Well... after a little more than a year, I finally have a 15ml test batch of this leaf in a dropper bottle, ready to be enjoyed! I could tell during the mix process, just by licking the end of the pipette, it’s in keeper territory.

I’ll give it a couple of days to mellow and then return with some results. If it’s anything like Peter’s Brightleaf Virginia Flue Cure - Sweet, it will make a great companion NET for some Burley and/or Perique.