Pure Leaf Varietals

Kinnikinnick

Pure Leaf Varietals

Post by Kinnikinnick »

Brightleaf Virginia Flue Cured “Lemon Leaf”

...just bought a 1/4 lb. of this leaf, in hopes of procuring a nice sweet natured extract for use in blending with other single leaf varietals.

Many of my favorite pipe blend NETs are Va/Per types; heavy on the Va. This will be my first single leaf Va extraction.

Source:

https://totalleafsupply.com/product/organic-virginia-flue-cured-lemon-leaf-bl/

Peter_Ramish

Re: PURE LEAF Varietals

Post by Peter_Ramish »

Kinnikinnick wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:57 pm
in hopes of procuring a nice sweet natured extract
Right,.. I currently have American Virginia Flue Cured 2013 from LeafOnly.com and it is somewhat sweet, but I agree an even sweeter Va would be better for the Va/Per mixes, Soo I ordered and now have in the jar the LO Brightleaf Virginia Flue Cured - Sweet.

LeafOnly has a huge pile of Virginias, It would take a long time to work ones way through all of them :lol:
https://www.leafonly.com/search/virginia

Kinnikinnick

Re: Pure Leaf Varietals

Post by Kinnikinnick »

Semi-Oriental 456 (Leaf Only)

After almost 11 months on the steep shelf, this leaf finally made it to the filter! I can say without a doubt, this is definitely an Oriental... very nice outcome; aromatic and spicy. Very reminiscent of my Izmir Turkish whole leaf extraction. It will make a nice blender with my Lemon Leaf Virginia and some Perique. I agree with [mention]Peter_Ramish[/mention]... this probably isn’t a stand alone extract for anyone, unless you like an “unfiltered Camel cigarette on steroids” flavor. But, it will make a nice blended second ADV choice for me, seeing as how one of my favorites is C/D Orion’s Arrow (Turkish based blend).

Maceration technique:
75% PG
25% EA
Hot bump start, 8 hrs @ 125dg F
Cool steep 11 months
20 micron initial filter
Evaporate EA for 1hr @ 125dg F
8 micron final filter

Peter_Ramish

Post by Peter_Ramish »

Kinnikinnick wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:32 pm
Semi-Oriental 456 (Leaf Only)

After almost 11 months on the steep shelf, this leaf finally made it to the filter!
I don't think I will be that patient. hahaha.. I have a sample of this right now on my Ferris Wheel, and have "skim tested" a bit of it. I am a little confused what this leaf is supposed to be about flavor wise? I think, maybe, this leaf is a professionally concocted Hybrid made by professional plant biologists, maybe under contract to a big cig company? For sure someone had something in mind with this thing, but not clear to me what that 'something' was supposed to be.
Kinnikinnick wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:32 pm
, unless you like an “unfiltered Camel cigarette on steroids” flavor.
Yeah, for sure this one is in a ZIP code all its own. Maybe you are right here, and the best use for it is to blend it in my efforts to make "cig-work-a-likes". I will test it out on my unsuspecting newbie vape friends that are trying to quit combustibles - :LOL:

Interestingly enough this tobacco shows up in a research paper on "Flavor Additives in Tobacco Products" Notice it is in the company of other 'professional Hybrids"

Kinnikinnick

Post by Kinnikinnick »

Kinnikinnick wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:57 pm
Brightleaf Virginia Flue Cured “Lemon Leaf”
Well... after a little more than a year, I finally have a 15ml test batch of this leaf in a dropper bottle, ready to be enjoyed! I could tell during the mix process, just by licking the end of the pipette, it’s in keeper territory.

I’ll give it a couple of days to mellow and then return with some results. If it’s anything like Peter’s Brightleaf Virginia Flue Cure - Sweet, it will make a great companion NET for some Burley and/or Perique.

Kinnikinnick

Post by Kinnikinnick »

Reporting back on the “Lemon Leaf” Brightleaf Va Flue Cured:

Maceration technique:
100% PG
Hot bump start, 8 hrs @ 125dg F
Cool steep 12 months
20 micron initial filter
8 micron final filter

Mix ratio: 20% Extract/60PG/40VG/7.5mg Nic

This leaf rendered a very light, smooth, and mildly sweet extraction; slight citrus and hay like qualities. Granted, some of the sweetness experienced could be due to the soy based VG which is used in my finished liquids.

This extraction would work extremely well for those individuals being introduced to NET liquids. It provides a satisfying tobacco flavor, yet, there’s nothing about it that slaps you in the tastebuds and olfactory senses. It’s just a nice, mild Virginia NET.

For me, it won’t be used as a stand alone; rather, most likely to find a home in a blended or hybrid mix.

Having done a bit more study and research on the leaf pick positions, my next single varietal leaf to hit the jar will most likely be a Virginia Red Leaf. From what I read, this leaf position is the highest on the plant, supposedly rendering a bolder tobacco flavor composition. I plan on obtaining some Burley and Perique in the same shipment. Perhaps, I’ll finally get around to creating my own blended NET liquid after all.

Will I perform an extraction on this particular leaf again? Probably not. It doesn’t prove to be a memorable enough leaf for the effort.

Sadly, this leaf didn’t come close to Peter’s Brightleaf Virginia Flue Cured - Sweet, of which, Peter was so kind to send me a sample. Maybe it was his maceration method which resulted in such a favorable outcome? Looks like I may have to send him a gram of the Lemon Leaf and let him run his method for comparison? :D

Peter_Ramish

Post by Peter_Ramish »

Kinnikinnick wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:26 am
Sadly, this leaf didn’t come close to Peter’s Brightleaf Virginia Flue Cured - Sweet, of which, Peter was so kind to send me a sample. Maybe it was his maceration method which resulted in such a favorable outcome? Looks like I may have to send him a gram of the Lemon Leaf and let him run his method for comparison?
Humm.. the diversity of Virginia leaf offered at leafonlydotcom is amazing. It would be a full time job to explore them all: I think I just got lucky to pick two good ones. Particularly, as you mention, the Brightleaf Virginia Flue Cured - Sweet is a keeper, and very useful in all sorts of blending adventures.

when the US Postal Service comes back to mother earth, we can exhange a few samples. Right now, and for the past two months, I have not been able to get reliable delivery on any mailed packages. Oh well// :lol: :evil:

Kinnikinnick

Post by Kinnikinnick »

I know what you mean about the USPS situation at the moment. I’m starting to get an uneasy feeling about having anything shipped via USPS. I’ve held off purchasing any new leaf from anywhere until a couple of more weeks have passed by the election ballot crush. I may just have to bite the bullet and start using UPS or FedEx.

My First Class package of NET samples, which you never received, has been the first time USPS has ever lost anything I’ve mailed. I’m hoping it won’t happen again.