Samples by @Kinniknnick

50YearsOfCigars
Site Admin

Samples by @Kinniknnick

Post by 50YearsOfCigars »

Thanks to the magic of USPS priority mail, and @Kinnikinnick's generosity I have a samples of several of his extractions.

So my TIS comments on them are:
================================

Tabac Manil ~ Le Petit Robin:
Two distinct melodies here, The Tabac Manil: La Brumeuse is absolutely there with its distinct Cuban Cigar profile becomes the base, then a light leaf has been added that has an almost Rose Water/Petal flavor and aroma on the exhale. This second leaf tone enables the very much lighter over all dilution of the La Brumeuse base: I might go out on a limb here and say that, possibly, the other leaf added is something very light like Connecticut Shade wrapper. I agree with K. that it is not a Virginia, as various ‘reviewers’ have commented. To me, a shade wrapper makes sense, as we have the 30%/70% ratio which is claimed to be accurate information. So what can you add at a 70% ratio which has the effect to lighten the whole profile up to this airy slightly sweet hay like vegetative lightness? I think a light wrapper leaf fits the bill.

One point in my tasting, in contrast to K.’s comments elsewhere: I do pick up a very small amount of something in there which is woodsy, perhaps a very small amount of a gently smoked Burley? So all this becomes a total, that is for me (TIS) a little too much of a “created” product. I would not go so far as to say it is ‘confusing’ but there is just a little too much going on there for my tastes.

Overall, (TIS) I vastly prefer the original Tabac Manil: La Brumeuse with its dominant and excellent and very distinct Cuban Cigar profile.

This one is, overall, very much lighter in presence and not for us ‘cigar heads’. But you might like it.

Additionally, I will comment, that this one might benefit from aging of the ‘as packaged’ leaf product, before any attempt at extraction. Perhaps a couple of years in the cellar would blend all this together. Also K. comments that he would add 50% of the La Brumeuse to get this one back in line. Well, I guess, but what’s the point? You might as well just vape the real deal. Why all this effort to try to ‘blend/mix’ the La Brumeuse into something else (to me: a horrid thought!). I don’t know what prompted Vincent to start messing around like that. It was pointed out to me that he is branching out and creating other ‘products’, so maybe the motivation is just normal ‘business’. For more information on that subject see: https://www.smokingpipes.com/cigars/tabac-de-la-semois/ Tip of the hat to K. for finding those cigars and passing that on to me.

GL Pease - Union Square
Brand G. L. Pease
Blended By Gregory Pease
Manufactured By Cornell & Diehl
Blend Type Straight Virginia
Contents Virginia
Flavoring None
Cut Flake
Packaging 2 ounce tin, 8 ounce tin
Country US
This extraction prepared by Kinnikinnick, review by Peter_Ramish:.
- “Do yourself a favor and mix that Union Square at 20 to 25%.
I felt like that’s the ticket for that NET. Some tobaccos are just not as punchy as others.”
My Notes: I upped the tester to 40% but still Very mild, no major flavor points, no body,
so it is very hard to say anything definitive about it, seems to be a very light Virginia leaf,
not aged, a non-intrusive non-fermented flue cured. This must profile completely differently
when combusted, therefore I don’t know what Pease had in mind with this. Does not seem
to be working for a vape that I can determine. I suppose you could use it as a blender,
but I have Virginia whole leaf extractions that I would use for that purpose before picking this
as a blender. So for me it would sit on the shelf without a use ???
Here is one of several similar TobaccoReviews that sum up my feeling:
“The smoke itself was mediocre on my palate at best. The flavors were quite bland and lacked the fine,
sweet, hay richness I have experienced in other aged straight Virginias. Some say this lack of sweetness
is an attribute. I did not find it so. I found this tobacco to be very ordinary and bland…”

Mac Baren - Burley London Blend
Brand Mac Baren
Blended By Mac Baren
Manufactured By Mac Baren
Blend Type Burley Based
Contents Burley, Virginia
Flavoring Cocoa / Chocolate
Cut Ribbon
Packaging 100 grams tin, one pound bag
Country DK
Production No longer in production
My Notes: Excellent! A rounded mellow, totally tobacco profile. No artificial
node points in this one. There is a distinct chocolate sweetness, but it is
from very high quality tobaccos, not from any toppings. This what high
quality blending is all about. A sharp contrast to the C&D nonsense described below.
Not to take anything away from this one, but I would not be able to ADV this as
the sweetness would wear on me quickly, but that is just because I am an old Cuban
Cigar Head. If my background was pipes, then I would be all over this, but you can
not teach an old cigar-dog new tricks. Nice extraction, well done, by K.

Cornell & Diehl - Redburn
Brand Cornell & Diehl
Manufactured By Cornell & Diehl
Blend Type Burley Based
Contents Burley, Kentucky, Virginia
Flavoring Molasses, Rum
Cut Krumble Kake
Packaging 2 ounce tin, 8 ounce tin, 16 ounce bulk
Country US
My Notes: Yes, probably a very lightly barn fired Kentucky with a bunch of synth nodes
that ride above this light base. And I guess they diluted it down with some lackluster Virginia.
I think this could be fully synth-cloned with various bases from INW
and 3 topping flavors from just who-ever you prefer as a supplier of that type of thing. As it
is, it might as well be a synth mix as it is now, Not very impressive, that’s for sure.
This has (for me) that synth-node issue that results every time I try
to add in synth-toppings on a Hybrid. I get very bothered by nodes that ride above and can not
be ‘ignored’. So I will pass on this one,. Some of the
nodes are dry with an artificial roughness of woodiness like the bottled smoke flavoring used for cooking.
There is another synth-node point (not sure what it is, the reviews say molasses) that carries a sweetness.
So the whole thing is a bunch of ’nodes’. OK, if you like that sort of thing.