New DIYer Filter Questions

Hansformat

New DIYer Filter Questions

Post by Hansformat »

All

I am new to this and have some questions about filtering.

My plan is a first pass through an unbleached coffee filter. Then a second pass through a 3 micron filter. This seems to follow the ideas in the youtube video where the creator does not advocate microfiltering.

My questions:
1. Is this a sound approach?
2. What equipment and filters do i need to buy. I’m looking at several sites and the filtering equipment choice is daunting. What i am looking for are specific recommendations that people are using successfully.

Many thanks

Jas

Hourman

Re: New DIYer Questions

Post by Hourman »

Welcome Jas,
I've been a DIY mixer for a couple of years, but am still new to NET extractions. I started out of curiosity and to be prepared for if and when our government outlaws commercial flavorings. I've taken a very inexpensive and low tech approach to filtering. I bought an AeroPress for less than $30.00 and just filter twice using the paper filters which came with it. There is really no visible residue left on the second paper, so I wonder if I even need that step. I don't notice that my coils gunk up all that fast. In my opinion, this fast and inexpensive system is good enough. I would only bother with a finer filtration if I was thinking about selling my juice. Please let us know what you settle on and how it's working for you.

Hansformat

Post by Hansformat »

Hourman

Thank you for responding. I will look into this device.

Jas

Peter_Ramish

Post by Peter_Ramish »

Hansformat wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:00 pm
...specific recommendations that people are using successfully.

Sorry it took me so long to post the following information. This was originally published by Kinniknnick over at :
https://forum.e-liquid-recipes.com/t/n- ... /28032/123

Here is a cut and paste from that site of the images of his method:

Kinnikinnick

Re: New DIYer Filter Questions

Post by Kinnikinnick »

Thank you Peter, for taking the time to dredge up that information from my past posts in time.

I will say, however, my process has morphed a little bit since some of those posts. If you look in the top right hand corner of those pictures, you’ll see that the timestamp is 2016; a long time ago. In fact, I was just getting my NET process sea legs at that time.

At the moment, I still use an aero press for my filtering process. However, I have put aside fine micron filters, opting to use only the filters that come with the aero press. Now, as Hourman does, I filter my NET twice. Once, to get the major particles removed and again for good measure. This simple filtering process works just fine.

I will note, I do still employ a stainless steel ricer for the initial pressing of the maceration. Peter, I believe, uses a screw drive pasta maker. Either way presses most all of the solvent from the leaf.

Hope this helps and let us know how it turns out for you.

SpaceAce

Post by SpaceAce »

Hi, new here.. quick question.

about 5 years ago, I made some dyi nic flavor from full leafs. followed a method from E-Cigarette Forum.

Used a slow cooker to seep the flavors, 3 days I think. Then multiple passes with coffee filters.
Got most of the leaf flesh out of the mix, but the problem was it tasted really grassy. Was that from particular leaks, or because it wasn't filtered enough. I know for a fact it wasnt filtered good, but not sure if that's why it tasted so grassy.
thanks.

Peter_Ramish

Post by Peter_Ramish »

SpaceAce wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:31 am
but not sure if that's why it tasted so grassy.
More like the 3 days in the slow cooker is what was the issue. "Hot Bump" starts must be done very conservatively. Usually not more than a few hours, and in all cases the temps must be below 125F. I don't think the filtering was the issue. Also, specifically what was the leaf you used?

If you use the slow cooker again, first understand the temp of that cooker with a reliable thermometer and see how hot it really is. Actually, I would suggest to just macerate "cold" (at room temps) for your next try. You can create a NEW TOPIC in the area: viewforum.php?f=11 and say what you have as a leaf and your proposed extraction technique, and I am sure you will gather some helpful suggestions. :lol:

Hourman

Post by Hourman »

It may well be the tobacco you used. Many Virginias are considered to be "grassy" tasting. I would still heed Peter Ramesh's advise about not over heating it.

SpaceAce

Post by SpaceAce »

Thanks, and yes it was Virginia. But alot of NET companies I tried used Virginia in the ones I tried [Marlboro emulators] and never tasted grassy.