Vegetable Glycerine Tobacco Extraction Method

CAAB

Vegetable Glycerine Tobacco Extraction Method

Post by CAAB »

With potential setbacks occurring from the H2O extraction method, I've been pursuing other ideas.

My new idea is to use vegetable glycerine as an extraction solvent with ethyl alcohol added just enough to improve viscosity, allowing easier filtration.

Thoughts?

Peter_Ramish

Re: Vegetable Glycerine Tobacco Extraction Method

Post by Peter_Ramish »

CAAB wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:02 pm
use vegetable glycerine as an extraction solvent with ethyl alcohol added just enough to improve viscosity, allowing easier filtration.
Sounds like a worthwhile experiment to me ! [mention]Kinnikinnick[/mention] has made more than few multi solvent extractions with PG/151-EverClear Alcohol (25/75 water/EA) , and I think he uses a final ratio of 25/75 EverClear/PG.. I understand that his results have been very good. So you simply replace his formula containing PG for VG and proceed.

What are you waiting for? Throw a test batch in a jar, times-a-wasting.

The question is mostly if the solvent properties of VG will work on the 200 plus "flavonoids" that we are after. Here is where the multi-solvent approach might be very valuable.

Kinnikinnick

Post by Kinnikinnick »

I would agree with [mention]Peter_Ramish[/mention] on the possible maceration technique of a VG/EA combo. The combo would result in making the solvent viscosity that of a PG consistency, aiding in a much faster filter process. Plus, the EA might just pull out some tobacco flavonoids you like.

I would suggest filtering the maceration down to the final micron level you like and then going through the EA evaporation process last. I’ve had good luck with warming the final filtered extraction in a clear glass bowl, over water heated to no more than 150dg F. It take roughly 1 hour for a proper EA evap. During the process, you can see the EA vapor rising from the extract. When that EA vapor ceases to be seen... it’s done. You’ll also notice the lack of an EA smell to the extract; a good thing!

CAAB

Post by CAAB »

Thanks [mention]Kinnikinnick[/mention] for the suggestion. I didn't realize you could evap the alcohol out of the VG, or PG for that matter.

Not sure if I will evap the EA yet. Before you know it, winter will be here, and I noticed my VG e-liquids just couldn't handle the cold. Although I am experimenting with PG more. I have reason to believe my supposed PG sensitivity was in fact sensitivity to the nic level and coil temp. I am guessing the PG will be less of an irritant as EA.