VG/PG Ratio for NET

CAAB

VG/PG Ratio for NET

Post by CAAB »

I thought it would be interesting if everyone shared what VG/PG ratio they use in their naturally extracted tobacco (NET) eliquids. Also, why they chose their VG/PG ratio. I haven't really messed with adding H2O or alcohol much, but if you do, I'd be interested to hear how much you add and why.

For anyone who hasn't experimented with VG/PG ratios, I highly recommend it. Varied ratios can change flavor, cloud production, throat hit, and performance in certain atomizers. It's like the foundation on which your house is built. I've gone so far as to try unflavored, nicotine-free eliquid in different ratios to get a better sense of the blank canvas with which I am starting out.

Currently, I am a mouth-to-lung (MTL) vaper leaning towards 50VG/50PG. Unlike many, I was surprised to find that a higher VG ratio was a little tougher on me. I find a higher PG ratio to be smoother with less coughing.

I also found that with higher VG ratios, I wasn't getting as good of a flavor. I'm all about the flavor.

Another benefit of the higher PG ratio is that it is a lot more forgiving in atomizers. The higher VG ratio eliquids are thicker, which results in more difficult wicking. Some of my atomizers don't work well with high VG and chain vaping. Also, in the winter, the VG struggles to keep up because it gets even thicker.

As for intervals between wicking, I've compared a max-VG to a 80VG/20PG NET eliquid and the difference was pretty stark. I had to change the max-VG wick much sooner than an 80/20. At some point I will compare a 50/50 to a 70/30 to see if there is a significant difference.

I do notice the clouds are a little thicker, with almost a creamier feel in the mouth with the higher VG ratios. So I am missing out on that with a lower VG ratio, but it's something I am willing to sacrifice.

And just the usual disclaimer, this is what works well for me. What works well for you might be completely different.

Peter_Ramish

Re: VG/PG Ratio for NET

Post by Peter_Ramish »

Overall I agree with what you point out, that VG ratios effect many aspects of the final vaping experience. I start with a ratio that is around 65%PG/35%VG by weight, but this is subject to adjustments based on "testing" the first mixes with a new extraction. Once "adjusted" I make a note of the ratio and find that works over time into the future mixes of the same base, and rarely needs future adjustment.

I have at least one advantage in the whole VG/PG adjustment chase as I do not use, or rotate through, many different mechanical atty designs. I know (from some of yours and others posts) that you might be using many different attys. I have an advantage that way, as i have long since gotten rid of designs like the Kayfuns that never seemed to behave the same way twice in a row, and were very unforgiving and very intolerant of a broad range of VG/PG ratios. I consider that to be a design defect in many attys.

So, for me, it is a branch off the TIS (Tase Is Subjective) road. I have, but very rarely, adjusted some mixes for thicker clouds, agreeing here with your description of how more VG can effect flavor profiles. But, doing that, is very rare. I typically find that I adjust my first mix testing to higher PG, looking for more flavor, rather than more VG and therefore 'clouds' or 'smoother' or other common effects of moving to higher VG.

CAAB

Post by CAAB »

I'm surprised to see that you use an even higher PG ratio. It's not something I see very often. I will have to give it a try.

Peter_Ramish

Post by Peter_Ramish »

CAAB wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:14 am
I'm surprised to see that you use an even higher PG ratio. It's not something I see very often. I will have to give it a try.
Yes see my post elsewhere that shows my "base starting point mix ratio'
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7

Later (as time permits. :D .) I will run a spreadsheet that shows the actual adjustment over many mixes over the years.

Kinnikinnick

Post by Kinnikinnick »

I enjoy a 60P/40V ratio and have for many years now. Even when I was mixing with synthetic flavors, I tended to stick around that ratio. On occasion, I bump up it up to 70P/30V, when I have an extraction which seems a bit weak on flavor.

I’ve also enjoyed the throat hit which a higher PG ratio has to offer. Plus, a good juice flow to the wick is pretty much guaranteed. ;)

CAAB

Post by CAAB »

I guess I missed the PG train...

Hourman

Post by Hourman »

I settled on a 50/50 ratio very early in my DIY mixing experience. I have read, and believe, that PG is a much more efficient flavor carrier. I am primarily interested in flavor as opposed to visible clouds. Additionally, a large proportion of my vaping, especially during work hours, is more in the "stealth" fashion, so I actually want to moderate my clouds. 50% VG gives me all the vapor that I need. I only vape mouth to lung, and like a noticeable, but mild, throat hit. In order to maximize my PG ratio, yet maintain a mild throat hit, I use salt nicotine to minimize the amount of throat hit I get from that. A very typical mix for me would be 50/50 PG/VG, 12% salt nic, 10 to 20% flavor.

CAAB

Post by CAAB »

Hourman wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:15 am
Additionally, a large proportion of my vaping, especially during work hours, is more in the "stealth" fashion, so I actually want to moderate my clouds.
Good point. The 50/50 and higher PG ratios clear up more quickly.

Peter_Ramish

Post by Peter_Ramish »

Hourman wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:15 am
I settled on a 50/50 ratio very early in my DIY mixing experience.
I just thought I would comment that I also do have a use for 50/50. Not for final mix ratios or ADV use, but I do use it as a standardized experimentation SFT mix (Single Flavor Tasting).

As luck would have it, that came to mind and I thought I would toss in this comment here, as yesterday I drew off 5mls of a current maceration (Peterson Royal Yacht), and ran a tester with it at 50/50. I have been using that standard tester ratio method for years. When this discussion was brought up, I think everyone was thinking to respond with ADV/Final mix ratios, but many of us use specific and "one-off" rations for SFT (Single Flavor testing) and other experimentation in extraction development.

I settled on that 50/50 for what I call "skim testing" for a number of very mundane but valid reasons. One is that it is just a fast - easy - n0-brainer. You don't have to think, just grab equal amounts of the subject under test and your bottle of Pure VG. Could not be simpler. No chance to make a mix mis calculation with some complex formula and screw up the result. Second reason it is a standard (for me at least) and therefore over the long haul and many such skim test using the 50/50 certain information may begin to appear. Of course any test series has that sort of value over time, but only if the variables are held identical. In this case the 50/50 is always the same, so the experimental 'baseline' criteria is satisfied.

Just as an aside: I will mention that the Peterson version of the Royal Yacht is developing in an interesting fashion. Tomorrow, I will drop a comment over at the other post that has to do with that particular clone effort. Hahaha, me and everyone in the world is trying to clone RY. :lol:

see: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=24