Finding a use for the Purge.

Peter_Ramish

Finding a use for the Purge.

Post by Peter_Ramish »

:D I finally found the solution (no pun intended) to the problem posed by @Kinnikinnick in his topic viewtopic.php?f=13&t=69

This year I decided to turn Global Warming to my advantage.. If they give you lemons then make lemonade. :idea: What could be better in hot weather than a nice crop of home grown tomatoes: Only problem with that is those pesky tomato worms that seem to devour everything in sight.

So I tuned my "Purge" to good use:

Pesticide
========
In nicotine-producing plants, nicotine functions as an antiherbivory chemical; consequently, nicotine has been widely used as an insecticide,[52][16] and neonicotinoids, such as imidacloprid, are widely used.

Nicotine has been used as an insecticide since at least the 1690s, in the form of tobacco extracts[44] (although other components of tobacco also seem to have pesticide effects).[45] Nicotine pesticides have not been commercially available in the US since 2014,[46] and homemade pesticides are banned on organic crops[47] and not recommended for small gardeners.[48] Nicotine pesticides have been banned in the EU since 2009.[49] Foods are imported from countries in which nicotine pesticides are allowed, such as China, but foods may not exceed maximum nicotine levels.[49][50] Neonicotinoids, which are derived from and structurally similar to nicotine, are widely used as agricultural and veterinary pesticides as of 2016.[51][44]