Helpful Hints on Getting the Most Out of this "Old School" BBS !

50YearsOfCigars
Site Admin

Helpful Hints on Getting the Most Out of this "Old School" BBS !

Post by 50YearsOfCigars »

Addmittely this phpBB software that runs this board is very "old school". If you have been using boards running on much newer designs, things like "discourse", then this BBS will seem pretty clunky.

But I like it and the price is right, it is FREEWARE !

Actually it is powerful, just that the learning curve for the user is a little stiff. If you get stumped on how to do something just drop me a PM and I will try to help out.

In the meantime here is a few things that will help you out IMMEDIATELY !

1.) The number one complaint on the BBS is that the text is too small and/or too light to read. There is a fix for that: Just go to your User Control Panel and change it to your liking, there are a number of setting there you can experiment with 'till you find what you like:

Here is how to get to the User Control Panel:
Once there Click on the choices to see various settings for you

To Control the Font and Text Display Click on the one that says " Board preferences"

Once you Click the "Board preference" Open then you can adust the screen and other settings:

HOW TO QUOTE TEXT IN A REPLY

There are Three ways to Quote Text. You can quote the ENTIRE original message (not usually a good choice..!!!).. This is easy just do this:

1..) Image

2.) You can try to use the "floating" "QUOTE icon" method that is commonly used in 'discourse software. This is where you just highlight the text you want to Quote and after a few moments a floating "QUOTE" icon presents itself, if you click on that icon your selection will be transferred to the REPLY area. Sometimes this works, sometimes not. I have found it a little flakey in its operation. If it fails then you can use the following method:

3.) If the "floating QUOTE Icon" is not working for your then. another method to Select smaller amount to quote you First Hit the REPLY Button to get a BLANK REPLY Sheet of white paper, then scroll down below the BLANK page and you will see the entire original Post from which you will select smidgets. Just Highlight what you want and then press the '' Quote Icon and your smidget will be inserted. You can repeat this as many times as you like with as many differnt selections from the Original Post as you like:

Hope this helps. If you have more Questions, just PM me. That brings up another point: To PM any other user, just click on their name and you should get a box that will open up and give you the "SEND a PM?"

50YearsOfCigars
Site Admin

You can "Tag" or "Mention" another User in your Posts

MENTION OTHER USERS IN YOUR POSTS:

Here is another interesting item you can use.

If you are making a REPLY post, or even if you are starting a TOPIC, you can insert the name of a fellow user of this BBS for the purposes of what is known as a MENTION. The purpose of a MENTION that the person MENTIONED, the next time he logs on and checks his NOTIFICATION area, then he will see that he was mentioned.

This is useful because you might want him to see the facts and content of the post in which he was MENTIONED. It is a way of yelling across the room "Hey Joe, Check This Out ! "

To create a MENTION all you have to do, while you are typing along is leave space then type the @ symbol and the first two or three letters of the users name that you want to MENTION. Give the software a moment and it will list for you any users with those letters in their names. That list will appear in a little drop down box, and you can choose your desired name.</t>

50YearsOfCigars
Site Admin

Re: Helpful Hints on Getting the Most Out of this "Old School" BBS !

GETTING THE MOST OUT OF THE SEARCH BAR:

We are running on a new server now. It is very fast and performs well. Ome of the things it does well is the "SEARCH" function. I made some changes to the way it behaves and it will search for almost anything. This is great because it allowes you to do things like when reading a recieipe and you see a tobacco name that your are not failiar with then just highlight it with your mouse, then CtrlC copy it, then drop it in the Search Box and hit the enter key. It will take you to any detailed description that it finds in other locations throughout the BBS.. Give the SEARCH BOX a try for various things, as it is pretty smart and very fast