Sourcing Cheap Ethyl Alcohol

CAAB

Sourcing Cheap Ethyl Alcohol

Post by CAAB »

I was on the way to Canada the other day and stopped at a place right before the border called the Duty Free. The price for Everclear 190 was substantially lower than anywhere else in NY. The price for 1.75 liter was what I would pay for 1 liter normally. There was also a cheaper brand I can't recall that was under $20 that I may try on my way back.

Although crossing borders there are liquor restrictions, so you may want to hit these places when you're back through.

My father-in-law informed me that Arizona liquor prices are even lower. In any case, I think it's worth considering when traveling that you may want to look into liquor prices, you very well may be able to stock up.

I'll get the NY duty free prices on my way back. Maybe other members can post better prices so we all know where to take our next vacation!

Peter_Ramish

Re: Sourcing Cheap Ethyl Alcohol

Post by Peter_Ramish »

CAAB wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:50 pm
I'll get the NY duty free prices on my way back.
Let us know what this final price is, after all taxes and other fees that might apply.
Also what is the quanity limit? I know last time I was at a duty free store there were limits on Alcohol.

Just FYI: Here is two sources that sell to retail consumers here in the USA:

https://shopbvv.com

http://xfbev-com.3dcartstores.com

After taxes and shipping (to USA ZIP Codes) the price is around $110 / Gallon for 190 or 200 proof. These prices vary from time to time, so if you are interested, it is best to log on to get current prices to your location.

The federal Tax on beverage Alcohol is about $26 a gallon. If these companies wanted to they could apply for an industrial use tax exemption, but I guess they consider it not worth the hassle to endlessly wrangle with the bureaucrats.

To see what the tax situation is you can consult:

https://ttb.gov

CAAB

Post by CAAB »

Bad news is that I was unable to stop at Duty Free on way back. However, as I understand it, it's cheaper to purchase from Duty Free in Canada before crossing border back to US. Technically you're not supposed to bring something back if you purchased it in US duty free and are returning back to US. So if you're going back to US, you have to purchase it in Canada duty free. I believe there is a 2 bottle max, so you're not going to be stocking up for doomsday or anything.

On a plus note, when I purchased from regular old liquor store, I noticed a rebate on Everclear going on until 9/15/19. $6 off 1.75l, $5 off 1l, or $4 off 750ml.

Peter_Ramish

Post by Peter_Ramish »

CAAB wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:25 am
Technically you're not supposed to
Yeah.. that says it all "technically" meaning "what the law says".. Well if you followed ~exactly~ all the laws then you would need a permit to breath (carbon tax you know..)

In California, Everclear has recently been placed on some sort of "restricted list". It is now not legal to sell Everclear here over 60 proof. Which is crazy, because you can go to the next isle over (at my local BevMor Store in Fresno) and buy a bottle of 151 proof Rum.

So "technically" if I stop at the Canada duty free on the way back to California I must turn the bottle of Everclear over to the authorities at the California border. I actually had this happen once when traveling from Mexico back to Texas, when a Texas cop stopped me at the border and confiscated my can of Corona Beer. In California they already have "agricultural inspection stations" on the highways, which are just thinly disguised immigration inspection checkpoints.

At least in California the check points are within 50 miles of the border. I was once stopped in Texas at a "checkpoint" that was over 200 miles into Texas and the cop at that check point grilled us for 20 minutes. He essentially detained us without cause. At that time I was traveling with my wife who is a naturalized USA citizen, and the cop thought that was a good enough excuse to make our life a living hell for 1/2 an hour.

:x

CAAB

Post by CAAB »

I was once stopped in Texas at a "checkpoint" that was over 200 miles into Texas and the cop at that check point grilled us for 20 minutes.
I think I remember a news video on that once. Something about how you don't actually have to answer any questions if you are within the US. Not border crossing of course, but just these random checkpoints.

You just have to show ID or something. In these videos, people just keep asking, "Am I free to go, am I being detained?" without actually answering anything. Except in one case I think I remember a cop busting open someone's window, so there's always that.

In any case, I learned that there was an Ibotta (it's an app) promotion on the Everclear, so I was able to get 1 liter for $15 here in NY when I combined the coupon with rebate. With the 70/30 VG/PGA experiment going on, that PGA went a long way, with plenty left over for later.

There was a cheaper pure grain alcohol at the Duty Free, I wish I could remember it. It was substantially cheaper than Everclear. I've never seen it anywhere else.